INTERVIEW WITH ZANELE PHAKATHI - MISS SOUTH AFRICA FINALIST 2019


ZANELE, NOT ONLY MISS SOUTH AFRICA FINALIST 2019 BUT FOUNDER OF @ZAPOWERHOUSE, WHAT DOES PHILANTHROPY MEAN TO YOU?

“For me it’s about passion. This is what Zanele is passionate about and that’s why I do what I do. 
Seeing those who came before me conjure challenges that slowed down their progress gave me a choice to choose differently because I have learnt from their mistakes. That has shaped me to understand that I have a choice And that for me was choosing education, choosing to strive for a better life and not being a victim of generational challenges choosing not to forget to look back &
also, inspire those who come after me to do the same. And by me giving back I’m doing exactly that.”

Follow up questions:
When did you enter the pageantry world? And when you entered Miss South Africa were you fully ready for the journey itself?

“I started pageantry in 2011, I was 13 years old. I didn’t know it then but it was the best thing that happened to me. 
I didn’t even know I was entering, one day I came back to my room and I thought let me enter it’s online, there is no way I’ll be picked. God planned otherwise” 



What does the title ‘Miss South Africa’ mean to you?

”The Miss SA title means you are able to inspire most of South Africa and beyond. It’s not about the winner but the people she serves, you need to be a selfless Queen, yet focused too. It’s a job and you need to prepare yourself mentally for that .“


For a lot of females out there being in a big pageant like that with different definitions of beauty around them, not saying they valuing themselves less but being in a surrounding of powerful and amazing women would seem very frantic, what is your take on this?

”I think Miss SA and Miss universe sent a really good message to the world this year, with Zozibini. You can be yourself and actually be seen as the most beautiful woman in the universe. If you are confident in who you are and know what you bring to the table this shouldn’t be a problem.”

BEING A FINALIST
During the finalist journey did it ever show that Zozibini was the most likely to win the title?

“It was anyone’s game. It was Zozibini's time to shine and she did it with so much grace. You never know who the winner is until they’re crowned.”

Is a pageant that big money consuming?

“No, you actually get money to be there, part of the finalist prize package.”


Last question Miss Zanele, is it true that before entering a big pageant like Miss South Africa you must have a certain image in the society, a little bit well known or have a status which can increase your chances of you winning?

Well no, I don’t think so. I just feel like if it’s your time and you will win. No matter how famous or not you are. If it was written in the stars that you will be a Miss SA nothing will change that. 

There you have it! To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Self-confidence is the best outfit. Rock it and own it.
To keep up with this amazing woman, follow her on Instagram: @zanelephakathi

Subscribe to our blog to get more of Female Icons. 

Comments

  1. Yes babe , super proud and learned a thing from this 😍 keep shining

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts